Are you a new homeowner wondering what kind of light fixtures to add to different areas of your home? Or did you just lease an office space and are unsure about what kind of ceiling light fixtures to install?
You might even be looking to replace some or all the light fixtures/decors in your home or office space, and came across the term flush mount lighting.
This article will discuss what flush mount lighting is, what makes this light fixture type unique, why you need it, and how to install it by yourself or through the help of a professional electrician at Elcon Electric.
What Is Flush Mount Lighting?
Flush mount lighting got its name from the adverb ‘flush’ which means squarely or solidly attached to something. In this case, a lighting fixture that is encased in glass or plastic and attached directly to the ceiling or wall is called flush mount lighting. Flush mount lighting performs the same purpose that all lighting systems do; to light up a room.
The origin of this lighting fixture type dates back to the early 1900s when designers such as Beller, Roebuck, and Virden redesigned ceiling bulbs and introduced different designs of flat-mount light fixtures to the construction and real estate markets. The flush mount ceiling light has undergone various upgrades over the decades and is a common lighting fixture found in many modern homes because of its ability to easily spread light across a room.
When Do You Need Flush Mount Lighting?
You can use flush mount lighting fixtures anywhere in your home or office space for the following reasons:
- When you have a low ceiling: You should consider ceiling-to-floor height when deciding on light fixtures to install in your space. Using flush mount lighting as the main overhead light source is especially perfect for rooms with low ceilings because the flush model is designed to disperse light in all directions, and the closer the light is to the floor, the brighter it lights up your space.
- For wet-prone areas: it is only practical that you install lighting fixtures, such as flush mount lighting, that are properly encased and immovable in wet-probe areas like your bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room.
- To provide additional lighting to your space: For spaces, such as your dining room and bedroom, where dangling mount lighting such as a chandelier, is the main source of illumination, you can add flush mount ceiling and wall lighting fixtures to enhance the brightness in the targeted rooms.
- For both aesthetic and practical functions: Flush mount lighting fixtures also add beauty to a space. Whether they are added in your bedroom for night reading, your living room for family game night, or to illuminate your mini art gallery, flush mount lights can enhance the outlook of selected spaces.
Installing Flush Mount Lighting
Install a flush mount lighting fixture in 4 steps:
- Flip off the light switch before removing the old light fixture
- Detach the bracket and screws or bolts on the junction box
- Fix back the mounting bracket and attach the flush mount light to it.
- Flip on the main switch to confirm successful installation.
If you are not a professional electrician, you might find installing flush mount lighting tedious or confusing. Hire an Elcon Electric professional electrician instead because professional electricians are skilled and have the exact equipment for adding or replacing flush mount lighting fixtures within the shortest time.