The oldies but goodies are alive and well in south Florida. The area is filled with homes that were built more than 50 years ago. Those homes are beautiful and appeal to people from all walks of life who appreciate the old-school things. The unique look of these homes is what often pulls people in. If you are one of those people who loves the charm of these older homes, you need to be aware of one tiny problem that could become a very serious issue—outdated wiring. An electrician in south Florida can help you identify the old wiring that is guilty of starting home fires. The team at Elcon Electric can help you get rid of the old and bring in the new, without destroying the old-fashioned look of the home.
Outdated wiring can be extremely hazardous. Cloth wiring was very common in the construction of the older mid-century homes that are all over southern Florida. The cloth breaks down and deteriorates over time, leaving the wires bare and exposed. A little insulation or two wires touching is a recipe for disaster. A tiny spark is all it takes to start a huge fire. The electrical wiring in a home should always be inspected before buying if possible.
Identifying hazards before they become serious is proactive. It allows you to protect your investment and your safety. An electrician will likely check the electric panel first, which is always a very good indicator of the wiring that is hidden behind the walls. Sometimes, attics will have some wiring exposed that will make it easy to see what you are dealing with. Don’t stress trying to figure it all out on your own. Give Elcon Electric a call today and schedule an electrical inspection to determine whether or not the wiring in your house is dangerously outdated.