There are few things that can scare a homeowner like the thought of a house fire. It is a fear we all have in the back of our minds. Dutifully checking smoke detectors and making sure the stove is turned off when we are away are some of the habits we get into to protect our homes from a fire. There is another task you can add to your regular house checkups—checking on the electrical outlets. Yes, it may seem like a silly task, but it is absolutely important you do what you can to stay on top of any electrical issues explains a Florida electrician. The team at Elcon Electric can complete a home safety inspection to give you another idea of the condition of your home’s electrical wiring.
There are a few key signs you can look for that will tell you when an electrical outlet is bad.
1. If the outlet doesn’t work at all or works intermittently, it could be a sign of faulty wiring.
2. If the outlet wiggles when you plug things in or pull the plug, you could be creating a fire hazard by jarring loose wires behind the outlet.
3. An outlet that has black streaks shooting up the wall is dangerous and needs to have the power cut to it immediately via the breaker panel.
4. If the outlet smokes, cut power to it—do not attempt to unplug whatever is currently plugged in.
5. Sounds of crackling could be burning wires. If it smells like burning wires or a burning smell in general, it is a key sign something bad is happening behind the walls.
If you notice any of these things in your home, cut power and immediately call an electrician in Florida. Any one of these signs could spell major trouble. Give Elcon Electric a call today if you suspect you may have a bad outlet in your home.