How do you typically identify something that is dangerous around the house? In most cases, there are the obvious signs or you know because you or someone was hurt. We take many precautions in the house and add smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure we know when there is danger present. Unfortunately, we may not always be able to identify an electrical hazard that isn’t visible to the eye. Electrical wiring is behind our walls and tucked into a neat and tidy electric panel. Identifying hazards can be tough for the untrained eye, which is why you need the team at Elcon Electric to help you if you suspect something may not be right.
There are some things you can look for around the house to identify a problem with your electrical explains a Florida electrician.
- Sparking whether there is something plugged into an outlet or not
- Smell—there is a distinct smell of burning wires
- Outlets or light switches that are hot to the touch
- Lights that flicker or dim without rhyme or reason
- A buzzing or sizzling sound
- An outlet that only works on occasion
- Breakers trip often
- Visible signs of outdated wiring, like cloth or aluminum
If you have any of these signs, it is time to call an electrician in Florida. Faulty wiring is like a ticking time bomb. You never know when the problem will become a serious safety hazard and set off a fire that could devastate your home. You may only get one warning. If you have one of these signs, flip the breaker and leave the power to the bad outlet or fixture off until it can be inspected. If you are unsure about whether or not you have any of these warning signs, give the team at Elcon Electric a call and schedule an electric safety inspection.