Garbage Disposal Power
Follow these steps if your garbage disposal stops working:
- Always make sure that the switch on your garbage disposal is turned to the off position before doing any troubleshooting.
- Check the inside of the garbage disposal for something that may be jamming its motor. Clear out obstructions as necessary.
- Turn on your disposal for just a moment. Does it make a humming noise? If it does, the power supply to your garbage disposal is working properly. Your disposal is most likely broken, or has something blocking its internal mechanisms.
- If your garbage disposal makes no humming noise when you turn it on, then reset the disposal by pressing the small button on the bottom or sides of the disposal. Try turning it on again.
- If all these steps do not work, try flipping your circuit breakers off and then back on to see if this will fix the problem.
If you do not know how to reset your circuit breakers click here to learn How to Reset Circuit Breakers.
If none of these steps fix your problem, you should call your electrician.